Category : Survival Kits
Putting Together a Survival Kit With Everything You Need to Survive!
Getting Started with Your Survival Kit
You know you need a survival kit to survive a disaster because you are smart and want to be prepared for any catastrophe but have no idea where to start and what exactly you need to have in your survival gear. With so many survival guides telling you what is best it certainly can be a little overwhelming.
Here are some guidelines on what to have in your survival kit and bug out bags and to begin with consider investing in a tough durable tactical combat bag or two to keep your survival gear in. Disaster survival kits need to be ready on hand for evacuation and everyone in the family needs to know what to grab and go on a moment’s notice.
You’re Survival Kit Basics.
Get your survival gear together for emergency preparedness is best done in small steps or a little bit at a time starting from one point and working to get the items together a piece at a time.
First of all the very basic requirements that are not negotiable for survival are food , water and shelter, and then you can add other necessities like survival light, survival self defense weapons and medical supplies.
- For MRE and survival food rations you can visit a survival store or for convenience shop online for what you need… You will need at least three days of survival long term storage food for your bug out bags for each member of the family so order carefully working out proper nutrition suitable for adults and children.
- Next you will need to keep safe drinking water in approved survival long term storage containers, and you will need to add water purification accessories and water filters to your bug out bags.
- Shelter is the next item on the list and you can get compact bivvys that double as sleeping bags which will not take up much room in your disaster evacuation survival gear bug out bags. Compact groundsheets are also an option which can be used to rig up a shade or rain shelter with a few branches or sticks if you bug out into the wilderness.
- Various Accessories you need to add to a separate bug out bag which is for the whole family survival, are solar or battery powered lights, compact gas or fire table stoves for cooking and boiling water, a basic medical kit with chronic medication if one of your family or you require it, and injury treatment items. Add safety matches, lighters, a small radio for listening to the news, maps. Compass and Para-cord.
- Survival self defense in the form of a sturdy knife, handgun if you are trained in the use of one, or crossbow are some examples that must be in your accessory bug out bag.
More Basic Survival Kit Guidelines
- Look for compact useful survival kit items to save space in your bug out bags.
- Store your c survival water containers in a cool dry area where they won’t freeze, and the same applies for your long term storage foods…
- Take time to pack your survival kit for maximum space usage and place all bug out bags in one place for easy access in case of evacuations.
- Let each member of the family know where these survival bags are kept and that everyone must grab them when a disaster occurs.
- Keep a checklist on your refrigerator or where the storage area is for the family disaster emergency evacuation bug out bags, and note on the list expiry dates of foods and medicines. Also regularly change the water to keep it fresh, Replace what you need when the expiry date is reached which can be yearly or very two years.
If you have excess space in your bug out bags additional items for health and hygiene can be added.
You will feel better and have peace of mind once you have a survival kit ready and everyone in the family is fully aware of what needs to be dome in evacuations. Should you be separated when a disaster strikes then at least two alternative meeting points must be arranged with everyone in the family. Natural disasters are increasing worldwide from adverse weather conditions to earthquakes and it is not a question of if a disaster strikes but rather when one does…